HELPS Resource Center

Friday, January 9, 2015

IF I CAN HELP SOMEBODY - DAY 9: THOUGHT AND SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY

DAY 9: THOUGHT AND SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY


Matthew 25:34-40

"Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father,  inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 'for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 'I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 'When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 'Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'

  

IF I CAN HELP SOMEBODY


The world of the homeless seems very far from yours -- but in some ways it is quite near. For any of us, the loss of a job, the death of a spouse or a child or a severe physical disability could be the route to total despair. These are the very tragedies that have happened to many homeless people. 

Struck by personal tragedies, the people in shelters across America, have lost their homes and been deserted by the families and friends they once had. 

What can you do to help them? Sometimes the smallest can go a long way.

A homeless person may be someone who lost their job, a runaway child, or someone with a mental illness. One of the first steps in helping people is to see them as individuals and to find out what they need. Notice them; talk to them. Most are starved for attention.


Give the homeless people the same courtesy and respect you would accord your friends, your family, your employer. Treat them as you would wish to be treated if you needed assistance.


We can make quite a difference in the lives of the homeless when we respond to them, rather than ignore or dismiss them. Try a kind word and a smile.

Next time you do your spring or fall cleaning, keep an eye out for those clothes that you no longer wear. If these items are in good shape, gather them together and donate them to organizations that provide housing for the homeless. OR DROP THEM OFF DIRECTLY TO THE HOMELESS CAMP! 

I COULD GO ON AND ON. . . . . To be continued!!

IF I CAN HELP SOMEBODY - Lynda Randle) [Live]

No comments:

Post a Comment